Coronavirus and your taxes: Tax filing deadline extended, but you can file now for refund

giving you three more months to file and pay your federal taxes without a penalty. While you now have until July 15 to file your tax returns, there are still some benefits to still filing the typical April 15 deadline.

Along with the federal government, state tax agencies are moving their tax filing deadline past the annual April 15 tax day to help people and businesses destabilized by the COVID-19 outbreak. The federal government is also sending coronavirus stimulus checks to help those struggling under the epidemic.

Here’s what we know about the federal tax deadline and how to discover your new deadline to file your state returns. You can also learn everything you need to know about coronavirus and unemployment, some resources to help you if you’ve lost your job and more information on credit card and banking relief.

What are the new federal tax deadlines?

You now have till July 15 to pay your federal taxes. The three-month extension is automatically available to any federal taxpayer, without a limit on amount owed, including individuals, trusts and estates, corporations, noncorporations and those who pay self-employment tax.
Why you might want to file by April 15

Waiting is one strategy, but keep in mind that the quicker you file, the quicker you’ll get your refund, if one is owed to you. Most tax refunds are issued within three weeks. Your tax refund does not affect your coronavirus stimulus payment, if you’re eligible. Right now, the IRS is open and processing tax returns, but it has closed its Taxpayer Assistance Centers, where you could get help in person with tax questions.

Is there a penalty for paying after July 15?

To avoid a penalty for filing after July 15, you’ll need to request an extension and pay your estimated taxes by the cutoff date. See below for details on how to request an extension.
How do I get the federal tax extension as an individual taxpayer?

According to the IRS, you don’t have to do anything to qualify for the automatic July 15 extension, such as filing a form or calling the IRS. If, however, you need to request an extension beyond July 15, head to the IRS free-file service and file Form 4868. According to the IRS, with Form 4868, you still have to pay your estimated taxes by July 15 to avoid penalties but have till Oct. 15 to file your tax return. The Department of the Treasury did not respond to a request for comment…..Read More>>

Source:- cnet