Few credit card rewards and perks are more valuable than sign-up bonuses – also known as welcome offers, early spend bonuses, or new cardmember bonuses, depending on the issuer.
Every month, we sift through dozens of new and existing credit card sign-up bonus offers – some worth $1,000 or more – and present the very best here.
If you’re looking for a credit card that rewards you from the moment you sign up, or at least within a few months, you’ll want to familiarize yourself with these great new cardmember bonuses for the month of January 2021.
Best Credit Card Sign-Up Bonuses (January 2021)
These are the best credit card sign-up bonuses, welcome offers, and early spend bonuses available right now.
1. Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card
The Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card is a fixture on our best travel credit cards list. In large part, that’s down to its generous sign-up bonus: 60,000 bonus Ultimate Rewards points when you spend at least $4,000 within 3 months, enough to buy $750 in travel (hotels, airfare, car rentals, and cruises) through Chase’s Ultimate Rewards travel portal or a comparable amount in general redemptions using Chase’s Pay Yourself Back tool.
Going forward, dining and travel purchases earn 2 points per $1 spent, with no spending caps or restrictions. All other purchases earn 1 point per $1 spent.
The best way to redeem is for travel through the Ultimate Rewards portal – you’re guaranteed to extract $0.0125 per point there, turning (for example) 50,000 points into $625 in airfare, hotel stays, car rentals, and other travel items.
Through April 30, 2021, you’ll get the same 25% points boost when you use the Pay Yourself Back tool to redeem for statement credits against certain other types of purchases: grocery stores, dining (including restaurants and takeout), home improvement stores, and eligible delivery services.
You can also redeem for gift cards, cash (statement credits, direct deposits, or checks), and merchandise, mostly at a $0.01-per-point rate.
One of the best features of this card is a 1-to-1 point transfer arrangement that counts about a dozen participating travel loyalty programs as partners – including household names like Southwest Airlines Rapid Rewards and United MileagePlus. This is an extremely powerful benefit that can multiply the value of your points on long-haul flights and other redemption options for which points tend to have higher values.
- Sign-Up Bonus: Earn 60,000 bonus Ultimate Rewards points when you spend at least $4,000 within 3 months. That’s worth up to $750 when redeemed for qualifying travel and Pay Yourself Back redemptions and $600 when redeemed for cash.
- Ongoing Rewards: Earn unlimited 2 points per $1 spent on dining and travel. Most other purchases earn unlimited 1 point per $1 spent. Lyft purchases earn 5 points per $1 spent through March 2022. And, from Nov. 1, 2020, through April 30, 2021, earn 2 points per $1 spent on qualifying grocery store purchases, up to $1,000 in eligible purchases per month.
- Key Fees: There’s a $95 annual fee. There is no foreign transaction fee. Cash advances cost the greater of $10 or 5%. Balance transfers cost the greater of $5 or 5%.
- Introductory APR: None.
- Other Perks: Cardholders get VIP packages, early access, exclusive deals, and concierge treatment at entertainment and sporting events, including the PGA Championship. There’s also a slew of purchase and travel benefits here, including price protection, trip cancellation/interruption coverage, rental car coverage, baggage delay insurance, extended warranty protection, purchase protection (reimbursement for lost or damaged purchases), and return protection (reimbursement for certain refused returns)…Read more>>